[Web-SIG] more comments on Paste Deploy

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Sun Mar 4 01:27:30 CET 2007

Ian,

Thanks for weighing in.

> >    2. I'm not clear on how Paste Deploy's abstractions map to the
> >       filesystem. What does my website root look like?
>
> The way I have generally configured websites like this is like:
>
>    [composite:main]
>    use = egg:Paste#urlmap
>    / = config:root.ini
>    /blog = config:superblog.ini

Right, that's the configuration, but where is "egg:Paste#urlmap" on
the filesystem? Are the three ini files alone in some directory? Where
is paste? Where is SuperBlog? Where is the rest of the site? I find it
easier to start with the filesystem and then move up into
object/config abstractions.

> > Also, I don't think we should underestimate the importance of the
> > file/executable distinction. A standard "file format" for a
> > website enables a wider tool ecosystem to evolve: interactive
> > shells, debuggers, test runners, skel systems, configuration UIs.
> > It also makes any given website easier to comprehend and maintain.
>
> I'm not sure about the distinction you are making here.

ODT vs. DOC
ODS vs. XLS
ODP vs. PPT