[Web-SIG] serving (potentially large) files through wsgi?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 15:03:32 CET 2007

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> There are other logging systems out there besides the Python logging
> module -- and some of them are better for their specific
> purposes.

Can you give some examples?

> And the Python logging module doesn't give you any
> WSGI-level control over output.

What do you mean by that?

> At least if you use wsgi.errors, you
> can have middleware that e.g. logs different parts of your
> application tree to different log outputs.

if you needed this level of control, why not just do:

getLogger('/myurl/whatever').info('...etc...')

...and have the WSGI server configure loggers as appropriate?

> Which just goes to illustrate the problem of using a global logging
> package that has only static context (which is one of my pet peeves
> re: the logging module).

I've never thought of it as having static context and I've never bumped
into this as a problem :-S

>  In my experience, you more want to be able
> to filter and route logs by component *instance* (e.g. which page of
> your web app is being rendered) than by code module (e.g. templating
> library vs. db library).

...and what's stopping you doing this?

> Dividing up the logs by which module issued
> the message is a bug, not a feature.

I think I'm missing something: what in the logging package makes you log
by which module issued the message?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk