[Web-SIG] HTTP_CONTENT_TYPE and HTTP_CONTENT_LENGTH

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Dec 12 22:22:17 CET 2007

Manlio Perillo wrote:
>> And of course it's not much code to remove them.  There's some things
>> that technically are okay with WSGI, but in practice are bad (like
>> leaving out QUERY_STRING, which can cause very weird bugs due to how
>> the cgi module was written).
>>

> QUERY_STRING can be a problem for me, since I don't add to the
> environment dictionary empty variables, with the exception of
> SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO.
>
> Well, not a real problem, since it easy to make sure that it is always
> present in the WSGI environment dictionary.
>
> By the way: the CGI spec
> (http://cgi-spec.golux.com/draft-coar-cgi-v11-03-clean.html)
> requires QUERY_STRING to be *alway* present, but the WSGI spec allows it
> to be absent.

Yes, there's a couple keys like that, I'm afraid; SCRIPT_NAME and
PATH_INFO too, I think.

> P.S.: I'm reading the cgi module and it only uses argv[1]:
>       if sys.argv[1:]:
>           qs = sys.argv[1]
>
>       I'm not sure to understand.
>
>       Moreover in mod_wsgi for nginx, I call PySys_SetArgv, so the WSGI
>       application sees the command line options passed to nginx.

I don't know *why* cgi does this, but as you can imagine it's weird and
unhelpful when it does.  Having QUERY_STRING set avoids this problem.
Most framework do (or should) make sure it's set before calling the cgi
module, but someone who uses it directly could get a weird error as a
result.

I don't think there's anything wrong with exposing sys.argv; what the
cgi module does is just weird.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org