[Web-SIG] WSGI diagram

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Aug 21 01:21:04 CEST 2007

Cliff Wells wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's someone working on a mod_wsgi module for the Nginx HTTP
> server/proxy and Nginx's author was asking if there is a diagram
> somewhere outlining the WSGI protocol (I think perhaps he'd help if he
> understood WSGI).  I google'd a bit but came up empty-handed.
>
> Anyone know of anything?

I've seen a few I think, but I'm not sure -- probably nothing that would
help him that much.  There's some links on
http://wsgi.org/wsgi/Learn_WSGI -- but I think they are all more for
applications, not for people implementing servers.

If Nginx wanted to support Python really well, I think doing process
management would be the most ideal way to do that.  That's kind of what
FastCGI does, but with lots of different options and some general
confusion.  Nginx could potentially implement FastCGI (or a protocol
like SCGI or any other over-the-wire protocol they thought best) with
intelligently chosen process management, potentially with a client
library (maybe a customized Flup) that invoked everything properly.

It's really more of an integration issue than a protocol issue.  But if
Nginx makes the integration clear, easy, and robust then they'd create
something quite useful.  And probably applicable to other languages like
Ruby as well.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers