[Web-SIG] Communicating authenticated user information

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jan 23 22:29:32 CET 2006

Clark C. Evans wrote:
> Thanks Phillip!
>
> This clears it up for me. Although, I disagree with the
> specification in this case; there does not seem to be a
> reason why middleware shouldn't be required to send the
> *same* environ dict along in subsequent calls.

Paste already does this, for the N subrequest method.  This is done at
least in paste.cascade, where we retry the request several times until
something responds with a non-404.  Since it is common at least for
subapplications to rewrite SCRIPT_NAME/PATH_INFO, you can't pass later
objects the same dictionary as previuos objects.  Well, I suppose you
could update the one-and-only environ from a copy you made before
sending the request on.  But anyway, it doesn't do that.

I'd like to do this same thing (N subrequests) sometime in the future
for server-side HTML Overlays.