[Web-SIG] WSGI in standard library

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Feb 15 18:30:14 CET 2006

On 2/15/06, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> HTTPS is orthogonal.  Besides, how would you support it in the stdlib?  It's currently not possible to write an SSL server in Python without a third-party library.  Maybe someone would be interested in rectifying /that/? :)

Yes, why do't you volunteer? Theer's absolutely no fundamental reason
why we can't support server-side SSL when we do support client-side
SSL in httplib.py, except that someone has to write the code -- the
same OpenSSL library can be used.

Well, I can see one *practical* reason -- server-side SSL use probably
requires a lot more OpenSSL APIs to be exposed. Also, managing an SSL
server *securely* requires much care. So perhaps having to use an
external library (pyopenssl or m2crypto) could be appropriate. But
it's nothing fundamental.