[Web-SIG] My original template API proposal

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Feb 7 17:51:45 CET 2006

Matt Goodall wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>>On 2/5/06, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I suspect most templates will buffer their output internally, unless
>>>somehow configured or dynamically set not to do so.
>>

>>Why would they? Isn't that a function that the web server typically does?
>

> I've not seen anyone respond to this, and I'm not sure if it was meant
> entirely in the context of rendering templates but ...

Lots of parallel threads... but yes, I was only speaking about
templates.  In practice I believe ZPT does not stream output, and
Cheetah can but does not by default.  Kid does not either, as it
constructs a complete ElementTree representation and does modifications
of that then serializes (though maybe the serialization is streamed).

> I don't think a web server should buffer anything except for perhaps
> small blocks of data on their way to a socket.

Certainly, and WSGI supports that well.  The templating spec (any of the
forms) can support that as well, I just expect to see most results as
[complete_body].