[Web-SIG] Standardized template API

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Feb 4 21:59:29 CET 2006

At 11:37 AM 2/4/2006 -0800, Ben Bangert wrote:
>I think the main reason Ian suggested it was because he wanted to
>implement his own lookup scheme to find templates. As I mentioned
>above, this begins to take us to the internals.... so I'm inclined to
>agree that its not going to help here.

Actually, I'm thinking that the whole discussion is definitely resembling
OLE, at least as a conceptual model.  We have "linking" (symbolic
identifier passed off to an engine that finds and returns the desired
object) and we have "embedding", where the engine is just handed raw data
or access to a place to store the object.  These are *both* useful things
to do, even if some are what would currently be considered "internals" in
some frameworks and template systems right now.

But they probably *both* deserve to be standardized, and then a given
template or framework can support one or the other or both according to its
choice and ability.  Thus, Myghty would be an example of a tool supporting
linking (as a link resolver), but not embedding, so it would describe
itself as supplying a WSGI link resolver.  My hypothetical
templates-from-the-filesystem server would be an embedder, but wouldn't
support linking (at least not directly), so it would describe itself as
providing a WSGI resource container.

Anyway, we could then call the full spec "WELT" - WSGI Embedding, Linking,
and Templates.  Our slogan could then be, "Got WELT?"  :)