[Web-SIG] Standardized template API

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Feb 1 05:32:01 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> [back to the Web-SIG]
>
> At 09:39 PM 1/31/2006 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> How do you pass in variables?
>

> environ, or a nested variable therein

OK, if you invert that (put the environ in the variables) then you
get... variables, like in the original spec.

>>   How do you get non-string output?
>

> What kind of non-string output?  For doing what?

Like ElementTree output, that you might pipe through other
transformations.

>  >But there's a kind of templating that occurs in a typical application
>  >that is much more intimately tied to the calling code, and shouldn't be
>  >pushed through an HTTP-like interface.
>
> But that HTTP-like interface can be concealed in a library wrapper for
> systems that don't orient that way, and if you *don't* supply such an
> interface, then template systems that orient that way are put at a
> disadvantage that *can't* be worked around by library wrapping.

I just don't get it... why do I care about the status or headers from
the template?  I don't want the template returning those things.  I
probably want the template returning a unicode string.  Providing a
content-type would be fine, but hardly important.

So, I want to send variables in, and I want to get a string out... and
that's what the original spec does.  Why phrase it in terms of WSGI?

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org