[Web-SIG] wsgiref questions

Sylvain Hellegouarch sh at defuze.org
Fri Dec 22 19:15:28 CET 2006

> On 12/22/06, Sylvain Hellegouarch <sh at defuze.org> wrote:
>> > We decided to add chunking encoding to our own server, it wasn't all
>> > that hard.
>>
>> Hopefully you will release this code as part of wsgiref and let the
>> community benefit from it, right?
>
> We didn't modift wsgiref, we added it to a proprietary module; and I
> don't think our code has anything to offer over what's already
> available through other channels, such as the CherryPy server.
>
> (Also, wsgiref violates a couple of Python style guides that make me
> not want to update it myself. Phillip promised he would clean it up
> for distribution but never did, so the version distributed with Python
> 2.5 has a few strange ideosyncracies that I'm afraid to clean up
> because last time someone touched Phillip's code he threw a fit.)

One question popped into my mind. One of the core idea behind WSGI is the
pluggability of components respecting the interface proposed by PEP 333. I
wonder if there was reason not to try a different WSGI server when facing
a limitation with wsgiref rather than using a proprietary module? CherryPy
server or another does not matter. Of course since I have no clue of your
infrastructure and design I'm not judging here but your feedback would be
interesting on that particular case. I'm intrigued :)

Thanks,
- Sylvain