[Web-SIG] WSGI & CGI spec

Jason Kirtland jason at virtuous.com
Wed Dec 20 21:46:54 CET 2006

Phillip wrote:
> At 04:50 PM 12/19/2006 -0800, Jason Kirtland wrote:
>> What would a server do with an absolute URI vs. abs_path, if not
>> place it in PATH_INFO?  Or '*', for that matter?
>
> My understanding is that an absolute URI is equivalent to issuing
> the same request with e.g. a 'Host:' header, and should result in
> equivalent results in terms of environment variables.

An absolute URI request contains more information than a regular
request- there is an explicit scheme for accessing the URI
resource.  Moving the scheme to wsgi.url_scheme during a
normalization is probably not appropriate, as merely requesting an
absolute URI does not change some basic truths about the request
(SERVER_PORT, scheme used to issue the overall request, etc.).
Dropping the scheme on the floor quite possibly changes the meaning
of the request.