[Web-SIG] Virtual hosting in Aspen (was Re: [ANN] Aspen 0.6 -- turning towards 1.0 w/ daemonization)

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Sat Dec 9 19:50:37 CET 2006

Matt,

>> > Has there been any thought given to dealing with virtual hosting?
>>
>> Yes. I hope to implement that as an Aspen application. Basically, my
>> idea is to ...

I've sketched out an implementation using paste.proxy, and posted
it to a new Google Code project called "Aspen Commons:"

   http://aspen-commons.googlecode.com/svn/vhost/

> I'm asking because I'm working on an app that uses apache 2.2 to proxy
> 2 perl apps on apache 1.3 as well as a tomcat and iis app (running on
> a windows machine)...  Just giving a real life example and wondering
> how/where aspen could fit in....

With Aspen you'd instantiate paste.proxy.TransparentProxy for
each of the four apps, and then wire them up to directory
locations in __/etc/apps.conf. Your filesystem would look like:

   __/etc/apps.conf
   __/lib/python2.4/proxy.py      <- from paste
   __/lib/python2.4/proxyapps.py  <- yours
   iis/
   perl1/
   perl2/
   tomcat/

The contents of apps.conf would be:

   /iis     proxyapps:iis
   /perl1   proxyapps:perl1
   /perl2   proxyapps:perl2
   /tomcat  proxyapps:tomcat

Does that sound right?

chad

P.S. I had to modify paste.proxy slightly to get it to work.