[Web-SIG] [ANN] Aspen 0.6 -- turning towards 1.0 w/ daemonization

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Fri Dec 8 20:51:50 CET 2006

Greetings, program!

I just released v0.6 of Aspen, a Python web server:

   http://www.zetadev.com/software/aspen/#the-goods

This release features daemonization support, with a nice command
line UI:

   $ aspen start                   # daemon started
   $ aspen stop                    # daemon stopped
   $ aspen
   aspen starting on ('', 8080)    # running in foreground

(Many thanks to Walter Dörwald for his ll.daemon module.)

With this release we are turning our attention away from Aspen as
a development environment, and towards Aspen as a production web
server. That means we are pretty much done messing with the
extension API, and will now concentrate on things like:

   * configuration for production
   * testing
   * documentation
   * security
   * optimization

In particular, I'm excited to have a couple guys on the mailing
list looking at optimization, with a patch already produced that
may speed up static file serving by 5x. If you'd like to help us
make a kickin' Python web server, now is the time to jump in.

chad