[Web-SIG] Adding wsgiref to stdlib

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Apr 28 22:31:08 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It still looks like an application of WSGI, not part of a reference
> implementation. Multiple apps looks like an advanced topic to me; more
> something that the infrastructure (Apache server or whatever) ought to
> take care of.

I don't understand the distinction between "application of WSGI" and
"reference implementation".  The reference implementation *is* an
application of WSGI... using the reference implementation doesn't make
something more or less WSGI.

Also, wsgiref *is* infrastructure.  When using the HTTP server, there is
no other infrastructure, there is nothing else that will do this prefix
dispatching for you.

Apache and other web servers also provides this functionality, and with
the right configuration it will provide the identical environment as a
prefix dispatcher.  To me that's a positive.  I've seen cases where
other people have done the same prefix dispatching in Python *without*
matching the interface of anybody else's code or environment; that's the
sort of thing a reference implementation is meant to keep people from doing.