[Web-SIG] [Fwd: Summer of Code preparation]

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Mon Apr 17 19:35:02 CEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:47:12AM -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
-> Titus Brown wrote:
-> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 10:39:59AM -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
-> > -> Hi guys... looks like Google SoC is back on again.  I'm hoping we get
-> > -> some good web stuff going on, so people should start thinking.  Also
-> > -> there's two wiki pages where you can add project ideas:
-> > -> http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode and the somewhat out-of-date
-> > -> (and needs cleaning) page from last year:
-> > -> http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas
-> >
-> > I'm thinking of proposing a project to build a JavaScript interpreter
-> > interface for Python; the goal (for me) is to get twill/mechanize to
-> > understand JavaScript.  I think the project has wider applications,
-> > but I'm not sure what people actually want to do with JavaScript.
-> > I could imagine server-side parsing of javascript, and/or integration of
-> > javascript and python code.  Thoughts?
->
-> Do you mean like integrating Mozilla's Spidermonkey with Python?  That
-> would be a very approachable and useful project, I think.  It even gets
-> us a restricted execution environment ;)

Yes, something like this.  Personally I'd be happy to get good
twill/mechanize integration, but methinks a complete wrapper that is
then hooked into twill/mechanize is the proper way to go.  Then it
would be of use to others.

-> I'm personally non-plussed by deeper integration, like parsing
-> Javascript in Python or otherwise mingling the runtimes.  But I know
-> other people find the idea of that sort of thing much more appealing
-> than I do.  Regardless of motivation, I think the simpler Spidermonkey
-> integration would be more useful *and* much easier.  Definitely an
-> interesting idea -- and the more I think about the restricted execution
-> aspect, the more plausibly useful that sounds.  (Rich templating
-> languages using Javascript?)
->
-> I think Brett Cannon is doing something specifically related to Python
-> and Javascript for his doctorate, though what exactly that entails is a
-> little less clear to me -- I think it's more related to Python in the
-> browser, which is kind of the flip side of this.

I'll look into it, thanks!

--titus