[Web-SIG] using WSGI for standard pluggable applications

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 06:49:08 CEST 2005

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging.  I should note that
imho this is a bit easier to do with Cheetah than with ZPT and Metal.
In Cheetah, if I have a deep inheritance hierarchy:

SharedLayout
AppLayout
SectionLayout
Screen

Then, within Screen I can override, extend, or define methods that are
defined at any level of the hierarchy.  Since everything is defined as
a method somewhere, Screen can change any part of the look and feel it
wants.  So can SectionLayout and AppLayout change anything defined in
SharedLayout.  This is easier to do with inheritance in Cheetah than
it is to do with Metal macros where the slot mechanism is a bit more
tedious and explicit.  In Metal you have to fill every slot.  In
Cheetah, there may be 30 different methods that come into play in the
inheritance hierarchy, but I only have to redefine the ones I care
about at the Screen level.

Of course, take these statements with a grain of salt.  I'm currently
making use of Plone for one project (trying to learn something new),
and my knowledge of Cheetah is better than my knowledge of ZPT and
Metal.  Perhaps I'm completely wrong.

Best Regards,
-jj