[Web-SIG] JavaScript libraries

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon May 2 20:24:48 CEST 2005

Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> It sure would be nice to have a common JavaScript library that we
> could all share.  People are wanting this for Aquarium, but I really
> don't want Aquarium to have its own JavaScript library.  It's too much
> of a niche within a niche.  Do you guys think it'd be possible to use
> the RoR one?  I've often talked with Donnovan about using LivePage
> from Nevow.  Do you guys know of any other really solid JavaScript
> libraries?

I was just asking the Paste list about this, actually.  Here's what I
sent them:

I've been playing around with javascript o lait (http://jsolait.net/) in
an Ajax application (examples/console), but i'm having a hard time
getting the Javascript to work.  I'm wondering if anyone has particular
opinions on libraries to use.  I've looked just very briefly at Dojo:
http://dojotoolkit.org/ and Sajax: http://www.modernmethod.com/sajax/

There's also LivePage, but I don't know that it's very well documented.
  Ditto Rails' prototype.   I strongly prefer Javascript that is
backend-neutral.  Does anyone have experience with anything specific?

I've only really tried Javascript O Lait, which has its good and bad
points.  I think the author of that library must be a Python fan too, as
it adds Python-like ideas to Javascript, and he has some Python
libraries to go with it.  Actually, if I could just get the damn thing
to load I don't know if I have any other complaints :-/  Trying to make
Javascript modular is a PITA.  But I haven't followed up with the
jsolait list either.