[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Greg Wilson gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca
Sun May 1 18:04:17 CEST 2005

 > Todd Grimason wrote:
> ...i'm coming to
> the conclusion that what's lacking most on any of the number of
> existing, good frameworks is just "spit & polish".
> In other words, good docs, good tutorials, sample applications (beyond
> 10-liners), and yes, as much as many coders seem to distain it,
> good-looking websites.

* Good installers for major platforms (where "good" means "contain
everything you need in a single download", so that you don't have to
play the 'where do I get ClearSilver for Python 2.3 for Macintosh' game
when you'd rather be building the application that's due on Tuesday)

* A good app generator (click, click, click, and the first version of
your app is up except for the business logic)

* AJAX support (I think Rails' most compelling feature may turn out to
be the fact that it does more AJAX straight out of the box than anything
else --- they're definitely going to ride that wave)

Thanks
Greg