[Web-SIG] WSGI start_response exc_info argument

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Mar 30 06:54:21 CEST 2005

I realize I've been making invalid WSGI middleware for a while now.  I
guess I kind of knew that I was.  Anyway, reviewing the spec again and
looking at the exc_info argument to start_response, I feel a little
unsure.  I think I actually somehow got that argument in there by way of
some argument I made, but I can't remember what, and it doesn't make
sense to me now.  Relevent sections:

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0333.html#the-start-response-callable
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0333.html#error-handling

It seems like, in the small number of cases where this matters
(basically error catching middleware and actual servers) it's easy
enough to just code this up normally, I guess I don't see why the extra
argument is needed to pass the error up the stack...?

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org