[Web-SIG] Daemon server management

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 22:34:53 CEST 2005

I usually just write a wrapper that matches whatever OS I'm on.  I.e.
I sacrifice the cross-platform requirement.  Creating a FreeBSD
rc.sh-type script is quite simple.  Perhaps I'm being naive.

As for the pid file, if the user tries to start the server and I see
that it exists, I exit with an error.  If the user tries to stop a
server, and there is no pid file, I exit with an error.  I do it in
shell.

Best Regards,
-jj

On 6/9/05, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> I asked this on the Paste list, but no opinions there... maybe someone
> here has a thought on this...
>
> Does anyone have opinions on how to start and stop daemon servers?  I've
> added a --daemon option to paster serve, but I'd like to implement stop,
> restart, and reload as well.  Whenever I encounter servers that clobber
> pid files, or where the only way you can tell you've started a server
> twice is that you get an error message about not being able to bind to
> the port, it annoys me.  But I'm not sure how to best implement a better
> system.  Especially cross-platform -- though an entirely separate
> process for Windows might make sense (as a windows service or something).
>
> Opinions?  Or examples of other servers (preferably Python-based) that
> do this well?
>
> --
> Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  /  http://blog.ianbicking.org

I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.