[Web-SIG] OT: Exception report library

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra rodsenra at gpr.com.br
Tue Jan 11 20:56:17 CET 2005

Ian Bicking wrote:
> I've been using one of several systems to catch unexpected exceptions
> and log them (e.g., write to a file, display on web page, email me,
> etc).  But many are built into a particular system, or have an
> interesting but incomplete set of features.  E.g., many web frameworks
> have exception reporters (and the stdlib includes cgitb), but I want to
> handle non-web exceptions in the same way as exceptions from web
> requests, and that's not generally easy.
>
> So, I'm figuring there should be some generic library that does this.

I re-invented that wheel many times, so +1 ;o)

> Does anyone have experience with one they could recommend?

Nope. But, influenced from recent discussions in py-dev I
believe such tool shoud use an adaption-based framework,
using a report protocol boundable to several adaptable backends.

> Localized application extensibility is really useful to me as well; for
> instance, in a web application I like to know who the logged-in user is,
> and all sorts of environment information, and there's no way to acquire
> that information that is common to all the environments I'd like this to
> work in.

I can offer some develop/doc/test time to this effort.

best regards,
Senra

--
Rodrigo Senra