[Web-SIG] Sessions and Headers

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Dec 1 21:14:44 CET 2005

Ben Bangert wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote a WSGI session middleware module that handles
> sessions completely independently of any framework, though I'm not
> sure offhand how that'd work with mod_python.

It's nothing to write home about.  Flup has a somewhat better session,
and an object that is clearly usable outside WSGI; but it only has a
couple actual stores (e.g., no database), and some room for
improvements, so it isn't terribly notable either.

There was some talk about this on this list a while ago, but it never
really went anywhere.  I proposed an interface, but since I lacked
actual intention to implement it didn't go anywhere either.  But it
still exists, of course:
http://svn.colorstudy.com/home/ianb/scarecrow_session_interface.py -- it
might be useful to an implementor.

In an actually-extracted form, I don't know about any session library
for Python.  In an extrable form, I'm sure many frameworks have
something.  An extracted session library would be welcome.  I'm
personally getting by with a session that is much lamer than the one my
proposed interface would imply, which is probably fine since I only put
non-critical data in it anyway.  So a simpler session library would be
cool too.  I think it should leave out things like configuration, but
there's still useful functionality to be done.