[Web-SIG] WSGI config, transparency

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Aug 29 02:01:21 CEST 2005

Anyway, I'm okay the discussion has died down a bit -- I'll keep working
on paste.deploy and see how that works out, and revisit this later.
Right now I'm more interested in how this effects the rest of the "system".

One issue I've come upon is how to make applications and frameworks both
encapsulated and transparent.  Specifically if I have an application
which uses a framework, and the framework uses several pieces of
middleware, I need both *some* of the framework configuration to be
exposed, and some application configuration parameters to be exposed.

This can continue further when one logical application is composed of
subapplications.  For instance, imagine I have an admin interface built
on Subway, with a web frontend in Wareweb, and a WebDAV interface from
PyFileServer.  The three applications/frameworks can create a single
logical application.  But how do I present a unified face for the
application?

With global and flat configuration, the default is nearly complete
transparency, with some potential for collision.  Without global
configuration the default is an opaque system, with no possibility of
collision.  In a practical sense the global configuration is easier to
get working, and more adaptable for the system administrator.

Anyway, that's the issue I'm thinking about now.  In paste.deploy it's
kind of handled by:

   [app:someapp]
   set master_setting = foo
   ... include subapp somehow ...