[Web-SIG] Session interface

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Aug 16 22:40:55 CEST 2005

At 01:07 PM 8/16/2005 -0700, Robert Brewer wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > To put it another way, I see an opportunity here to
> > educate developers about better ways of doing things,
>
>I (and some of the other CherryPy devs) agree that there are better
>ways, particularly when using a persistent server process.

It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one around here.  ;)

>The issue for us as framework developers is that the wasteful ways are
>*already* institutionalized. Education is a worthy goal, but if it takes
>5 years to convince a majority of Python web developers that they don't
>need sessions, we need safe and strong implementations of sessions in
>the interim. I think that if we chose to ship CherryPy, for example,
>without any session functionality, we'd lose the very audience we want
>to educate.

So make a session store that uses cookies only, and upsell it as your new
"RESTful session storage option, with infinite scalability".  ;)

The flip side is then getting more good relationally-backed persistence
systems out there, to take up the complex-objects side of the equation.