[Web-SIG] and now for something completely different!

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Aug 16 00:08:12 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Of course, I personally prefer to use whatever the application's storage
> is for my session management, so I'll probably have little reason to get
> involved in the "storage" side of the session equation.  Indeed, I'd
> argue that applications that *don't* put their session data in the
> application's main DB should have very very good reasons for doing so,
> and I've never heard a good enough reason yet.  :)  Well, there's, "my
> application's DB suxors", but that means you ought to upgrade the
> application DB instead if you can.  :)

There's useful reasons for non-application code to store things in the
session, and the particulars of the application storage aren't really
applicable.  For instance, with this pattern:
http://blog.ianbicking.org/web-application-patterns-status-notification.html
-- you put transient messages in the session.  But there's no point to
using a fancy application session storage which means documentation and
configuration and whatnot.  Maybe you have no impediments to throwing
random data into your application data stores, but I do.

I think there's quite a few other use cases for this same kind of thing
which I think implies that there should be a standard generic location
to store session information.  Or you can ignore that and use the
session ID only.