[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 22:05:28 CEST 2005

At the risk of offending you guys with my continual blabbering, I do
like the "tools not policy" approach shared by the FreeBSD and Mason
worlds.  For instance, the Apache project has nice session libraries
for Perl.  Everyone wrote their own plugins for the common API.  Since
the library is a tool, not a framework, anyone can use it with their
existing framework.  At the risk of showing my ignorance concerning
WSGI, it's easier to use a session library in Perl than a session
library in WSGI, because the session library has no knowledge of
anything in your application, not even a context object.  It doesn't
even have to be a Web application.  It doesn't tell you how you have
to write your app.  You pick the version of the session library that
makes sense for your environment.

At the risk of sounding overzealous, maybe we should just steal their
API.  We can each rewrite whatever session implementations we need,
stealing heavily from our existing code.  For something so low level,
this is one place were we could share easily, as I've heard many other
people say.  It'd be easy to use it with WSGI, but wouldn't
necessarily even be Web related :-/

Happy Hacking,
-jj

--
I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.