[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Jeremy Hylton jhylton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 18:07:06 CEST 2005

Oops.  Slight clarification:

On 4/29/05, Jeremy Hylton <jhylton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also skeptical of a plan that sets out to build the one right way
> that everyone will use.  I don't know anything about the history of
> Rails, but I'm guessing that the project didn't start because Matz
> said "Build the official web toolkit for Ruby users" and it didn't
> become successful because Ruby programmers adopted it.  That is, I
> imagine it became popular because people liked it and not because
> people agreed in advance that the would like it.

... and not because people agreed in advance that they would like it.

Also, I imagine that Rails became popular enough that it lead people
to Ruby rather than the other way around.  Of course, Zope has been
drawing people to Python for a long time; it just hasn't had much
appeal as a general tool for Python programmers.

Jeremy