[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Apr 27 18:04:44 CEST 2005

Greg Wilson wrote:
> Well, here we all are, two weeks later, with no sign of convergence on a
> solution.

Well, Peter Hunt has code to run Subway on Paste, and is planning for
the next release to be based on Paste.  That will also make CherryPy
available in Paste as a side effect.  Mike Orr has been doing some work
on running Quixote on Paste, though I don't know exactly what his
current thoughts are; there's been interest from several Quixote
developers, so something is bound to catch.  And I'm pretty sure I
convinced Adrian Holovaty to base the initial open source release of his
company's web framework/CMS on Paste.

Sure, I'd like to see even more people moving frameworks onto Paste, but
I'm also pleased with the response so far, and hopeful we'll see other
frameworks come along in time.  I'm always ready to field questions
about the details.

Most of my own Paste-related work in the last week or two has been in
setting up project infrastructure -- bug trackers, mailing lists, etc --
but most of what I plan to do in that area is done and I hope to move
back to more significant code improvements.  And I'd be just as happy to
work on code improvements driven by the needs of other frameworks.  And
I'm always happy to include new developers, even if Paste is an aside to
your primary efforts (like your own app or framework).

> The mailing list set up in the wake of Michelle Levesque's
> "PyWebOff" talk at PyCon seems to have gone quiet;

I wasn't even aware of such a list...?  Mailing lists go quiet if they
aren't based on something concrete.  Heck, Web-SIG regularly goes quiet
for months, but I still think it's useful.

> meanwhile, even
> Nathan Torkington (of Perl Cookbook fame) is raving about Rails:
>
>     Ruby on Rails is astounding. Using it is like watching a kung-fu
>     movie, where a dozen bad-ass frameworks prepare to beat up the
>     little newcomer only to be handed their asses in a variety of
>     imaginative ways.
>     (from http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/04/on_conferences.html)

Well then go and make some cool web applications and then come back and
give feedback to the framework authors about what they could do to make
that more pleasing.  Rinse and repeat, and talk about it in public all
along the way, and we'll see what comes out of it.