[Web-SIG] Status of PEP 268

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 17:16:21 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 08:32, Maas-Maarten Zeeman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It looks like PEP 268 Extended HTTP functionality and WebDAV
> (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0268.html) is dead. Personally I have
> run into a couple of situations where it is just not possible to use
> urllib or urllib2 (e.g adding more efficient Digest authentication,
> Negotiate authentication, gzip encoding, etc). The idea explained in the
> PEP looks good.

Regarding the WebDAV stuff, I note that the davlib module was supposedly
developed - I suppose it provided the material for that part of the PEP. I'm
tempted to look into this a bit further, having recently experimented with
making WebDAV services.

> It looks like no one is interested in completing/implementing/finishing
> this PEP. Is this the case?

I think that the urllib, urllib2, httplib modules (and so on) really need
reviewing and a more coherent package structure introduced, possibly with
more accessible classes for cases where one needs to change the default
behaviour, especially in the simple cases. Perhaps there'll be a sprint at
EuroPython around such things...

Paul