[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 02:04:58 CEST 2005

I'm sorry--I can't resist! :)

On 4/15/05, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> We could discuss what lightweight means,

I installed Aquarium and Glass (Aquarium's optional included Web
server built on SimpleHTTPServer) on my PocketPC the other day :)  I'd
like to consider that lightweight!  I was showing that to Guido
yesterday, and he seemed to get a kick out of it.  I must admit that
it's much more of a testament to both Python and the guys who did the
port than it is to Glass, but heh, whatever ;)

> I guess, but IMO there is a
> light-weight, pure-Python, ready-to-use Python web app framework,
> called Medusa.

Yep, written by Sam Rushing.  He and I work together at IronPort.  In
a way, the successor of Medusa is via Stackless Python with
coroutines.  We're working out the details of open sourcing it.  Glass
can run on top of it, or it can use normal Python threads.

> No other installs necessary -- you don't have to get
> some database running unless you really want to.  Works remarkably
> well; I've written a few app servers in it already.  Perhaps your
> buddy is actually switching for some other reason.

Ok, that's enough from me.  Sorry for the interruption.

Happy Hacking,
-jj

--
I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.