[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:09:41 CEST 2005

> Reading over this a little more, I think I might just have a completely
> wrong idea of what WSGI is, and where it's applicable, but having said
> that, given the plethora of frameworks out there, having something that
> webapp developers can code to to allow them to run unchanged on a few
> different frameworks (even if they have limited functionality) seems
> like a good idea.  Is that the purpose behind WSGI, or is it the layer
> below, where frameworks talk to servers?

WSGI will not let you run code on different frameworks.  It really is
just a framework for frameworks to be able to share some code among
themselves.  Although I have the greatest respect for the developers
of WSGI (I really do), I became a little disenchanted with WSGI when I
discovered that it really doesn't help the developer who's coding all
of his code to a particular framework.  Hence, my efforts to address
the current problem have been via tutorials, working with newbies on
the Aquarium mailing list, and trying to achieve concensus among
developers who have good standalone, reusable parts.  If WSGI provides
any benefit, it will simply be that it gets developers moving in the
same direction.  The WSGI developers understand that, and that would
be a great thing!

In the meantime, I'll continue to try to be the greatest by being the
servant of the least.  I.e., even if Aquarium isn't the most
revolutionary thing since sliced bread, I do promise to bend over
backwards helping newbies use it to meet their needs and fix it when
it doesn't.  I'm not touting my own horn so much as I am reminding you
guys that it's the community that really matters.  With a community
where we each help each other, answer each other's questions, and
share code whenever possible, it's a win no matter which framework or
even which language gets the most mindshare.

Happy Hacking,
-jj

--
I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.