[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Apr 15 20:49:26 CEST 2005

Greg Wilson wrote:
>  > Paul Boddie wrote:
>
>> ...I firmly believe in "unbundling" templating languages from frameworks.
>

> But doesn't that just make more work for the poor sods who are trying to
> build things?  After all, they have to rebundle them, don't they?

I don't think it's too bad.  I'm happy with how ZPTKit works, even
though ZPT isn't written (at all) with Webware in mind, or vice versa.
OTOH, I don't think ZPT with Webware provides a very good experience
without the non-trivial amount of glue code in ZPTKit, and that glue is
kind of a NxM problem (# of template languages time # of frameworks).
But it's not at the top of my list of problems.

Other templating languages, like Webware's PSP (which is JSP-like) are
harder to generalize like this, because they are more closely tied to
the underlying code (servlets in PSP's case).  But, maybe ironically, I
find an entirely separate templating language easier to work with.