[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

mike bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Fri Apr 15 20:45:16 CEST 2005

>  > Paul Boddie wrote:
>> ...I firmly believe in "unbundling" templating languages from
>> frameworks.
>
> But doesn't that just make more work for the poor sods who are trying to
> build things?  After all, they have to rebundle them, don't they?

theres a tradeoff of initial setup vs. user choice in how they generate
their output.  pushing one specific template approach favors it over all
the others, and a lot of good ideas in all the rejected ones get blown
away.  the python community, being a brainy bunch, has a particularly wide
variety of html generation approaches...I think this diversity should not
be discouraged.

i would compare to Java Server Pages, which are klunky and hard to use,
and how every java-based site is built with crappy looking and hard to
debug JSP templates, since "thats what you use", despite the existence of
other java-based approaches which are pretty much ignored.

ROR is a really new thing.  Id be curious to see how popular it is a year
from now, and if it even manages to work its way onto a real large scale,
high-traffic site (and stays there).  since ROR is designed for instant
gratification and not really at all for scalable architecture (a field
where flexible options are crucial), i have a feeling people will be
seeking new replacements at that point.