[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Fri Apr 15 16:59:29 CEST 2005

On Apr 15, 2005, at 8:16 AM, Greg Wilson wrote:
> It's been a week now since my "Just lost another one to Rails" post,
> in which I said that a buddy of mine down in the States was switching
> to Ruby, after using Python for two years, because he and his
> colleagues needed a lightweight, ready-out-of-the-box web app
> framework.  Responses so far seem to fall into several camps:

And then there's all the people like me who think this whole
the-sky-is-falling stuff is silly. From my point of view the people who
are promoting ruby the most are python web developers! At pycon you
could hardly go five minutes without someone or other distressing about
how completely awesome RoR was and how nothing in python could possibly
compete oh no. It's really not that awesome, but it does get quite a
few things right. That's nice.

But then again, I've never been one for mainstream solutions
anyways...having run AOLserver for the last 5 years or so, before
seeing the light and switching to Twisted, then getting too involved
and suckered into overhauling the twisted web server. So excuse me if I
just give a big *yawn* to this whole subject and proceed to silently
take over the world. *grin*

James