[Web-SIG] FastCGI (previously "A query for hosting providers")

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Apr 1 20:19:31 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Perhaps even further off topic, I'll second Ian's comment that getting
> FastCGI set up is a royal pain, especially if you are having Apache
> start the processes.  mod_fastcgi has quite a few poorly documented and
> half-broken options that interact with each other in bizarre ways.  The
> situation is somewhat better if you start the processes yourself, as
> then you only have to deal with a handful of poorly-documented
> timeout/retry parameters.  :)  PEAK's "FastCGI supervisor" tool manages
> forking pre-initialized processes (and killing them off) according to a
> set of simpler, saner options.  I wrote it while at Verio so that we
> could increase performance relative to having Apache start the
> processes, and getting rid of the configuration headaches was a big plus.

Yes, it's really the Apache side that I found too difficult, not the
Python side.  Well, honestly, I had a hard time using your FastCGI
server last time I tried it as well -- I don't know which side was
broken, but it was altogether more complicated than I was ready for.
BTW, there's another FastCGI server here:

   http://www.saddi.com/software/py-lib/#fcgi

In all these cases I think it would be nice to support SCGI in addition
to FastCGI -- it nearly the same model (at least if you are ignoring all
the complicated FastCGI stuff like starting processes), and it's just so
darn much easier to configure.