[Web-SIG] WSGI - alternate ideas, part II

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Thu Sep 16 15:41:07 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 23:27, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:06 PM 9/15/04 -0400, Peter Hunt wrote:
>
> >Thus, here is my "WSGI-X" proposal. The application will call the
> >gateway, opposite of WSGI. For example, a CGI WSGI-X application may
> >begin with:
> >
> >#!/usr/bin/env python
> >if __name__ == "__main__":
> >       from wsgix import cgi
> >       req = cgi.get_request()
>
> That's pretty hard to implement correctly in any number of
> servers.  Really, pretty much every server wants to call the application,
> rather than the other way around, because servers want to use their own
> event loop.

To insert my highly unqualified 2 cents; this is simialr to the way
SnakeSkin/Albatross work:

import snakeskin
from snakeskin.cgiapp import Request

app = snakeskin.SimpleApp(...)
app.run(Request())

which allows me a chance to do something like:

app = snakeskin.SimpleApp(...)
myReq = Request()
myReq.custom_data = {...}
app.run(myReq)

changing to mod_python, chane line two to

from snakeskin.apacheapp import Request

the rest is the same.  I don't think there is an issue with the current
wsgi where app is callable; calling the object would just imply a:

from snakeskin.wsgiapp import Request

Mike