[Web-SIG] Standardising containment.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Sep 6 19:22:19 CEST 2004

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> [Alan Kennedy]
>
>>> The other main one that springs to mind is how WSGI applications
>>> discover the file-system path name that corresponds to an URI.
>

> [Phillip J. Eby]
>
>> *boggle*  Why do you think that URIs have anything to do with file
>> paths?  In the general case, they are entirely unrelated.
>

> Well, perhaps it's just that pretty much every web
> server/harness/framework I ever used has support for mapping URIs to
> files. How silly of me to try to apply my experience of other web
> systems to WSGI.

I guess it depends how you're looking at it.  Zope, for instance, is
exactly the opposite -- files are an extension, not a native concept
(with respect to URLs).  Quixote and Twisted both prominently feature
ways to parse the URL to find a resource, which is not a file.  At some
level, most frameworks allow for this kind of URL manipulation.  And I
would assume the same is true in Java, somehow...?  At least among
Python frameworks, URIs cannot generally be mapped to URLs.

Of course, there is an issue -- if not a file, it would be nice to find
the terminal application for a particular URL.  But that's very vague,
and something that WSGI does not facilitate.  If we have a bunch of
middleware, is there any way to say "give me the last one"?  Is that
even meaningful, as the middleware is not necessary pass-through?  So
maybe if you think you need the terminal application, it might be better
to reconsider and refactor the problem.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org