[Web-SIG] WSGI async API

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Oct 15 20:28:25 CEST 2004

At 02:19 PM 10/15/04 -0400, James Y Knight wrote:
>On Oct 15, 2004, at 6:57 AM, Peter Hunt wrote:
>>So if I'm implementing a Twisted gateway, where should
>>request.finish() go? This has been puzzling me for some time...
>
>You'd call finish when the iterator from the iterable returned by the WSGI
>app is exhausted and raises StopIteration, I think?

Yes.  A Twisted gateway, to avoid blocking, would need to deferToThread()
the initial invocation of the WSGI app, and immediately return
server.NOT_DONE_YET.  A callback on the deferred would then deferToThread
an iteration on the return iterable, which would in turn defer to the next
iteration, and so on.  When you get an errback() of StopIteration instead
of a callback, you could finish().

But all invocations of the application or any  method of any object
provided by the application *has* to be in a non-reactor thread, so as not
to block the reactor.  For example, there's no guarantee that simply
calling 'iter(result)' on the result returned by the application, won't
e.g. open a database connection or something.