[Web-SIG] WSGI async API

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Oct 15 07:46:42 CEST 2004

At 08:59 PM 10/14/04 -0400, Peter Hunt wrote:
>Can someone briefly outline how the WSGI async API works? Sorry to
>reiterate, but I don't know the agreement we finally reached.

That's because no agreement was reached.  There are two (moderately vague)
proposals still at large:

1) Have server extension APIs to pause iteration until further notice, or
until input is available

2) Have a server extension API that returns an iterable that the
application then returns after registering callbacks with it.  This object
would provide a more continuation-like API.

Another alternative is not to bless an official async API at this time, and
leave it open for server developers to innovate.  Then, come back later and
extend the PEP once there's more user/developer experience with the various
innovations out there.  Both of the above approaches could be implemented
in various ways, according to developer interest, but would be considered
server-specific extensions until/unless there was consensus to formalize
them as optional extensions to the current spec.

Given that none of the proposals appear to require making any further
changes to the base API, and that traffic discussing the existing proposals
has been slim, this latter alternative is beginning to look pretty
attractive to me.