[Web-SIG] [WSGI] mod_python wrapper: minimal first attempt

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Oct 14 23:33:52 CEST 2004

At 02:20 PM 10/14/04 -0700, Robert Brewer wrote:

>   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\wsgiref\handlers.py", line 325, in
>error_output
>     start_response(self.error_status, self.error_headers[:])

Aha.  That's a wsgiref bug; it should be passing 'sys.exc_info()' as the
third argument here.  As a result, it doesn't work if start_response has
already been called.  I've fixed this in CVS now.  Apparently the tests
don't yet cover a scenario of "call start_response(), then raise an
exception before the headers are actually sent."

> > One quick question: what is 'sys.stderr' for Python under
> > mod_python?  If
> > it prints to the error log, there's no reason (at least from
> > a compliance
> > POV) not to simply use it as the handler's stderr.
>
>sys.stderr -> apache's error log. See
>http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp

Ah.  So it should suffice to use sys.stderr, as long as the output is
flushed from time to time.  I've changed wsgiref to flush stderr after
writing exception output, since it really should be doing that for other
platforms as well.