[Web-SIG] Asynchronous HTTP server in standard library ?

Pierre Quentel quentel.pierre at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 17 04:48:25 EST 2004

If it's planned to propose an asynchronous HTTP server in the standard
distribution, we have two options so far :
1 - strip medusa to the minimal modules required to have a functional HTTP
server
2 - add medusa-like functions to SimpleAsyncHTTPServer

Before that, the first step would be to agree on a set of requirements ; I
guess it should include at least serving GET and POST request, running
Python scripts with access to HTTP environment (headers, form fields), but
what else ? Session management ? Basic HTTP authentication ?

Options 1 seems the best way to have a robust solution with the required
functionalities. Could someone try to package it ? Graham perhaps ? My fear
is that it could lead either to something too big to have a chance of being
included in the standard Python library, or to a parallel version of medusa
which someone would have to maintain besides the "standard" product

I'm ready to work on option 2 if a list of requirements can be agreed upon

Cordialement,
Pierre