[Web-SIG] WSGI configuration and character encoding.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 1 05:12:12 CET 2004

At 07:46 PM 11/30/04 -0800, Bill Janssen wrote:
>So maybe the charset of the contents of the config file should just be
>whatever the locale of the machine says it is.  Presumably that's what
>will drive the simple text editor that the user will be using to
>create/edit the file.

For some platforms, that certainly would make sense.  Of course, this is
also why I was just thinking plain ASCII, at least until somebody pointed
out that some OSes have Unicode filenames.  IMO, this is really the only
use case that supports having Unicode support at all; everything we need
for HTTP itself is either ISO-Latin-1 or "byte strings".