[Web-SIG] WSGI configuration and character encoding.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 1 04:19:21 CET 2004

At 06:57 PM 11/30/04 -0800, Bill Janssen wrote:
>I think you're either dreaming, or have a much different idea of
>"non-technical user" than I have.

Well, by definition in this context, they need to be somebody who can edit
a simple configuration file.  If not, then it doesn't matter how simple a
configuration file we make it!  (Also, presumably they're not going to be
able to configure their web server, either.)  The point is to require as
few skills as possible beyond "can edit a configuration file".  :)

As to the "non-technical user" part, I am thinking of a person who is not
technically inclined.  That is, someone who may do technical-ish things
when forced to, but has no inherent interest in them, and little patience
for them.  Someone who's maybe edited an HTML file or PHP script in order
to change something, but doesn't actually *know* any HTML or PHP, they just
figure it out as they go.  They are not technophobic, just not
techno-interested.  :)

If we have to tell this person how to get into Notepad in order to do the
editing, or explain to them what a filename is, then they are not
reasonably within the scope of this effort, and the application author
should attempt to charge them an installation fee.  :)  On the other hand,
if we have to tell them about \u escapes or RFC 2047 or XML entities, then
it is us who have gone out of scope, and we do not deserve to get any of
their money.  :)