[Web-SIG] My experiences implement WSGI on java/j2ee/jython.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Aug 30 05:33:35 CEST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> How about we just add a "Using WSGI with earlier Python Versions"
> subsection to the application/implementation notes?
>
> It would simply note that a WSGI server/gateway intended to work pre-2.2
> *must* use only a 'for' loop to iterate over an iterable returned by the
> application, and that applications needing to work pre-2.2 would have to
> implement the old-style iteration protocol.

This would mean that applications would have to be written with backward
compatibility in mind.  Which may not be terribly unreasonable.  But I
don't see any reasonable way you can write version-neutral code.

For instance, file objects are not iterable in older Pythons, so you
can't return those.  That's pretty annoying.  And there's no method that
is invoked which warns you that you need to be backward-compatible --
__iter__ is called on newer Pythons, but nothing on newer ones.

Of course, those same functions I put in the other email could be
applied on the application side, maybe conditionally depending on Python
version.

 From a practical sense, though, I suspect servers are going to be more
aware of their target Python version than applications.  So server
authors are going to have more incentive to write the code to deal with
older Python versions.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org