[Web-SIG] Stuff left to be done on WSGI

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Aug 27 23:59:51 CEST 2004

I don't know if it's possible for us to get these items together in time
for 2.4; if we don't, we don't.  There's little harm in having a separate
'wsgi' distribution until 2.5 rolls around.  I'm thinking the package
should include:

  * BaseHTTPServer-based WSGI server
  * CGI-based WSGI gateway (run WSGI apps under CGI)
  * WSGI app that wraps CGI applications so they can run under WSGI
  * Utility routines to fulfill certain parts of the spec's requirements
  * HTTP/1.1 practice guidelines, and utility routines where appropriate
  * Documentation

This looks like quite a list to do in just a few days, despite the fact
that we have skeleton implementations of the first four items and part of
the fifth.  And that's completely ignoring these currently outstanding
issues in the PEP itself:

   * List-of-tuples vs. email.Message for outgoing headers
   * Exception handling

Plus, I'm a couple days behind in updates to reflect the SIG's current
consensus on other outstanding issues, and haven't done anything to
separate the HTTP/1.1 guidelines out.

Anyway, we really need to finish the outstanding open issues, because until
the spec is firm on those items, we're coding on sand in those areas.

I personally would like to use email.Message, and I'm even tempted to make
'Status' a header, so that it's just 'start_response(headers)' instead of
'start_response(status,headers)'.  The Content-Transfer-Encoding
boilerplate is only needed by servers and gateways, and I don't think
adding another two lines of code creates a big burden there.  But it makes
middleware's job a lot easier: just add or modify headers, rather than
having to turn the sequence of headers into some other structure and back
again, or having to write utility routines to duplicate the functionality
already in email.Message.

With regard to exception handling, Ian has pointed out that it's hard for
middleware to trap exceptions well, because it can't tell whether the next
app down the chain has written headers yet, unless it replaces
'start_response', which then means it disables any advanced server APIs.

After thinking about this for a while, I'm having trouble seeing a problem
with that.  Specifically, exception-catching middleware *is* modifying the
output mechanism, because it will change the output in that case.  It
doesn't seem to me that you can safely write exception-catching middleware
that can work without disabling the use of extension APIs for application
output.

The only other thing that comes to mind is requiring servers to support
multiple 'start_response' calls in some way that makes sense for exception
handlers, while requiring it to still work in the case where an extension
API has already been used for output.