[Web-SIG] Re: Web-SIG Digest, Vol 10, Issue 26

Jim Dabell jim-web-sig at jimdabell.com
Fri Aug 27 02:03:08 CEST 2004

[Please trim responses in future, you didn't have to quote the whole digest to
us.]

> We should implement a Servlet-like interface which works atop WSGI,

Fair enough, but as it would sit on top WSGI, nobody need concern themselves
with it until WSGI is finished.  Otherwise you are trying to hit a moving
target.

The point of WSGI isn't that development stops after it's finished, but rather
that everyone is on the same page before attempting something more ambitious
like you describe.  Larger projects take more time to mature and give more
scope for fundamental disgreements.  Something like WSGI can be specified,
implemented and standardised relatively quickly, meaning there are
incremental, measurable improvements, rather than everybody waiting around
for the perfect system to be born.

Obviously your proposed servlet-like interface's requirements are a factor in
what should go into WSGI, but I see no reason to believe your servlet-like
interface would have significantly different requirements to all the other
frameworks.

--
Jim Dabell