[Web-SIG] Re: Latest WSGI Draft (Phillip J. Eby)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Aug 25 06:46:36 CEST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> I believe you also have to close the GzipFile, as it won't flush its
>> final output until that happens.  So the finally block has to include
>> that as well.  That makes finish_response a bit less of a win.  And
>> again, map is clever but something of an abuse of the function, and
>> not appropriate for any example code.
>

> Abuse of the function?  That's what map() is *for*: to apply a function
> to each item in a sequence.  It's more compact and to the point than a
> list comprehension when all you're doing is applying a single function
> to a sequence of single arguments.  Perhaps I should also blame this on
> my imaginary Lisp background, where map is considered a primitive.  :)
> (Actually, it's my 7 years of Python showing, since 'map()' was king
> before the advent of listcomps.)

Map (and list comprehensions) imply you are doing something with the
results, but you aren't, you just want to throw the results away.

>>> For the given application, it's not important.  Gzipping a server
>>> push stream probably doesn't make a lot of sense.  :)
>>

>> How so?
>

> Don't the subsequent responses have their own headers and transfer
> encodings?  (By server push I mean a multipart response, which is also
> the main scenario for calling write() more than once or yielding more
> than one value and wanting the data to be immediately flushed.

Oh, now I'm confused.  By push I just meant where the application pushes
data to the server (the write callable) vs. the case where the server
pulls from the application (the iterable).

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org