[Web-SIG] Threading and client-side support

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Oct 26 17:51:45 EST 2003

On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 07:18 PM, John J Lee wrote:
> First, I should state that I'm almost entirely ignorant of all things
> threads.  Be gentle with me.
>
> What is the current state of thread-safety in the Python standard
> library
> client-side web code (ie. httplib, urllib, urllib2)?

As far as I know they are threadsafe.

> I ask because my cookies code is currently entirely thread-ignorant,
> and
> I'm wondering if it should have appropriate thread synchronization --
> and
> if so, what problems I'm supposed to be preventing, and how to prevent
> them.

It's all about concurrent access.  For instance, looking at
ClientCookie, the question would be what would happen when
ClientCookie.urlopen was called while another ClientCookie.urlopen was
running.  For instance, in ClientCookie._urllib2_support.urlopen,
build_opener() can be called twice.  If this is a problem then the code
isn't threadsafe (i.e., if build_opener() isn't threadsafe then urlopen
isn't threadsafe).  urlopen() can protect build_opener() with a lock,
like:

urlopen_lock = threading.Lock()
def urlopen(url, data=None):
     global _opener
     if _opener is None:
         urlopen_lock.acquire()
         try:
             if _opener is None:
                 # it might not be None, because we might have called
build_opener()
                 # sometime between the first if and acquiring the
lock...
                 _opener = build_opener()
         finally:
             urlopen_lock.release()
      return _opener.open(url, data)

There's a little more complexity there so that you don't have to
acquire the lock every time you call urlopen().  _opener.open() still
has to be threadsafe at this point (and you'll definitely want it to be
threadsafe, so requests don't have to be done serially).

Where you have to do this sort of thing depends on what parts of the
system are exposed so that they can be used concurrently.