[Web-SIG] So what's missing?

Thijs van der Vossen t.vandervossen at fngtps.com
Sun Oct 26 14:50:11 EST 2003

John J Lee wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Thijs van der Vossen wrote:
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
>>>Second, would it be possible to do this without a lot of code
>>>duplication between the current urllib{2,} / httplib libraries and the
>>>new stuff?  Is it worth it, when you can use threads instead?
>>
>>This is already trivial with the asyncore libraries. If I remember
>
> [...]
>
> So what is this for?
>
> http://asynchttp.sourceforge.net/

 From this page: "Our goal is to provide the functionality of the
excellent 'httplib' module without using blocking sockets."

> 28k of Python code isn't exactly 'trivial', is it?

Nope, but it's relatively trivial to use the asyncore libraries to
asynchronous get multiple pages (once again, there is a nice example in
Steve's book). Providing exactly the same functionality as httplib will
obviously be more work.

Regards,
Thijs