[Web-SIG] More prior art, less experimentation

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Oct 24 22:06:36 EDT 2003

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable with the way some of these
suggestions are moving.  I feel like people are trying to make another
framework, which I don't think is the appropriate goal for web-sig or
for the standard library.  Python doesn't need another framework, and I
don't think it's reasonable or particularly polite to try to trump the
work that a lot of people have done over the years, using some sort of
back door to perceived authority that web-sig might provide.

Nothing we're talking about is anything that hasn't been discussed
before in the context of other projects.  Nothing we are considering
implementing (at least server-side) is something that hasn't been
implemented before.

We *do* have the opportunity to create something that can unify the
Python web experience and provide the basis for more adoption of Python
for web programming.  To do that we will have to repeat the work done
many times before.  We should aspire to quality, but I think we need to
hold ourselves back from aesthetic experimentation, and respect
convention above our own preferences.  We can still indulge our own
fancies outside of the standard library, and building on the standard
library -- nothing we do should preclude your individual preferences
toward web programming, but it should not preclude other people's
preference either.  But most of all it should provide the foundation
upon which the mature, *existing* frameworks can build.